After a long slumber, I’ve moved the site from Wordpress to Hugo so that I can start eating my own dogfood. I’m a huge believer in static site generators, and Wordpress can be a mess to maintain properly. The only thing missing now is Hugo has no way to auto-post to Twitter when I make a new post. However, I should be able to rub on some IFTTT magic and make that problem go away.
I was building another one of these, and found some bugs in my previous post. I’ve corrected the post, the biggest being that the kernels in Armbian 5.10 and later include a 1-Wire interface in the DTB which conflicts with the 1PPS pin used by the GPS module. The solution is to either comment out the w1 stanza in the device tree, or move it to another pin. I moved it to GPIOY_7 which is two pins down on the same row of the connector.
Time is important. In modern computing, I would say time is second in importance only to good entropy. Unfortunately, getting accurate, reliable time is getting harder. The global NTP pool is under attack, and worse it’s also being used as an amplification vector for DDOS attacks. Primarily because of those two reasons, I’ve decided to block NTP traffic at the border of all Data Center. But this leave a problem: how to get time.
I’ve had the Oculus Rift setup and working for a few days now, and had several friends over to get a variety of opinions, and..well..we’re slightly disappointed. Ergonomics This is the one place where there is very little improvement since the DK2 and in some cases it’s backwards. Like me, most of my friends wear glasses and that’s the biggest problem. Thin framed wire glasses or metal frames are fine but if you have thicker framed glasses like those from Warby Parker just don’t fit well.
This isn’t a full review, I’ve only played with the Rift briefly tonight and wanted to get some thoughts down before heading to bed for an early morning. I’m planning on a much more complete review later, and a complete review of the Vive I should be getting in a couple of weeks, and finally a compare and contrast between the Vive and the Rift. In the mean time, here are the initial thoughts:
I’ve been doing a lot of work on various ARM things. A lot of it has been in support of making community builds of Chef for other folks, but I have a new goal: providing ARM nodes to the Internet at large as a hosting option. I’m not going to go into a lot of details here yet, as I’m saving a lot of that content for my hosting company’s blog.
I was really hoping this would be easier than it was. Most (all?) of the pieces needed are upstream, with a minor patch for das U-boot needed to make it all work with L4T. I’m going to provide links to my u-boot images and kernel packages, but first I wanted to go over what I’ve done and why. My Jetson TK1 still has L4T installed on the internal eMMC device.
Lots to get to, so I’ll just jump right in: Uppel CX-R8 I gave up on this device a bit too soon it seems. Someone found these blog posts and reached out about rooting a CX-R8. While I wasn’t able to help him much, he helped me greatly by providing links to a TWRP recovery image which makes it super simple to install a SuperSU update.zip file to the system allowing root access.
I love arcade games. Some of my favorites are S.T.U.N. Runner, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sinistar, and Tempest. I like the fighting games like Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Mortal Kombat, etc but are not very good at them. Ten years ago, I worked for a video game company and my “boss” also very much liked Arcade games. So he brought is personal collection about 30 of them in to work and littered them about the office.
Long overdue follow-up from my previous post. Let me dive in by topic: Uppel/Sunchip CX-R8 After a lot of roadblocks, I’ve given up on this particular platform. The primary reason for this was getting the MK68 boxes and being able to compare the two. The CX-R8 is pretty hacker un-friendly. The bootloader does some form of signing the boot, recovery, and kernel images. All of the existing Rockchip tools I could find to make these images say the ones from the device have bad checksums, and the images it creates the device reports as having bad checksums.